Saturday, July 25, 2009

Organization Complete

As you read in my last post after at least a year of trying to work in my guest room / sewing room; which was a shambles of fabric, thread, boxes, bags, and any other possible thing you can imagine, we have completed the organization. Below the first 4 pictures show the room before the make over. They are slightly misleading as I had moved all the fabric and other things to one side of the room so that my husband could work on the tables in the other area. The bed has been my cutting table, and both my machines have sat on the buffet in the corner.... horrible light.


TA DA!!!!!! The new space with shelving and tables. Over the last couple of years my parents have given me these holder/organizers for my thread. Last year for Christmas, my Daddy gave me a box full of them, they are perfect for all my embroider thread. Now I can see everything and can use all those beautiful colors.


My husband may disagree with this next statement, but this project was not difficult. When we begin to think about this project the biggest concern was that the surface of the table would be durable and smooth so that the fabric did not pull or snag while on it. We simply could not afford a countertop, as we have a 1 1/2 income household now, the funds are tight. So when we went shopping originally it was just to get the fabric organized so I could see what I had. However, while we were there we ran across these solid birch wood doors. They are durable enough to hold the machines, when sanded smooth they will not snag or pull on any fabric. Paired with 2x4's to act as the supports and legs the most time consuming part was sanding the wood and measuring. The second table was made in about 3 hours last night.

If you are thinking of organizing your room make sure that you consider what you need in your sewing room. For me the chaos was overwhelming and organizing it all was the key to becoming more productive. There are elements I would like to add, drawers for supplies, maybe some wall hooks to place tools like scissors within my grasp. However, these things are extras and will come with time. I would recommend baby steps, find the thing about your room that frustrates you the most and fix it first. Creativity flows when your mind isn't cluttered. If you are always searching for your tools, get them organized, hang hooks or peg board on your wall to keep them where you can see them. Take a tip from some of the hardware or home improvement centers where they advise DIY'ers on how to organize hand tools in a garage. A lot of these same tips will work for you in your room. and remember it doesn't have to be pretty, it has to be functional.

I would also recommend do it yourself projects like this one if you have, or someone you know has the ability to build these out for you. Sewing tables are quite pricey when purchased through a retail source. The total cost of this one ( or two as it were) was about $200. There are two tables that form an L shape, each is 30 inches wide x 8 feet long. It is a very ample space and I am very excited to begin working in my new room.

Happy Sewing, Crafting, and Creating.........

Jenjie

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Everything is visible and you don't have to search for that fat quarter you know you bought two years ago. Good going. I love the table with all that surface. Anyone who sews knows you neverhave enough table top.

    ReplyDelete